Selangor Journal: BSB: 70,000 applications received, cash aid distributed to 41,000 families
GOMBAK, Jan 23 — The state government had received 70,000 applications for the RM1,000 cash aid under the Bantuan Selangor Bangkit (BSB) programme which had benefitted 41,000 families affected by the floods, so far.
Menteri Besar Dato’ Seri Amirudin Shari said the initiative aimed to help reduce the burden on victims, has shifted its focus to register heads of households who did not move to flood relief centre (PPS).
He also assured that the state has the financial capability to distribute the cash aid despite its previous announcement that focussed on 30,000 flood-affected families.
“We are conducting registration from time to time but it will take some time (to be distributed) as each application needs to be verified as it involves government funds.
“We also discovered there are those trying to take advantage of this, even though the numbers are small, but we wish to avoid it,” he said after handing over Jom Shopping Chinese New Year vouchers here today.
He said flood victims also need to fill up the same application forms for the RM1,000 Bantuan Wang Ihsan (BWI) financial aid from the Federal government.
On December 21 last year, the state government allocated RM100 million in funds under the BSB initiative, due to the recent heavy floods caused by heavy continuous rain from December 17 to December 19.
Apart from infrastructural recovery, the initiative also covers RM10,000 cash aid to the families of flood victims who perished in the incident. RM1,000 cash aid will also be provided to the heads of flood victims’ families, to help them restore their homes and cover damages.
Individuals who qualify for the aid include three categories; flood victims who were moved to temporary relief centres, those who moved to private locations, as well as those who chose to remain with their homes.